Since 2004, the Used Book Cellar, located in the basement of Brookline Booksmith, has been Boston’s best-kept secret. With over 25,000 books in our inventory, you’re guaranteed to find something to pique your interest. Whether you’re looking for a good mystery to get you through the commute home, a picture book for your family story time, or some hard-hitting cultural analysis, there’s always a good reason to stop by!
How does it work?
Beginning 08/15/20, Used Book Buying on Saturdays only, 10am-4pm
Find us in the shady alcove just to the left of our front door. No need to enter the store. No appointments necessary, it'll be first come, first served. And thanks for keeping your distance and your masks on out there. Bring your books and our experienced buyers will go through them. We’ll tally the original price of the books we buy and give you either 15% of that total in cash (check if over $50) or 20% in store credit. All unpurchased books must be removed by the owner; we do not accept donations. Please bear in mind that the only parking available is metered and on-street, but there is no parking
in front of our store. Wondering if we’ll buy something specific? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
. For your convenience, our buying guidelines are included below.
What are we looking for?
- Gently used and up-to-date paperback fiction and non-fiction.
- At the buyer’s discretion we consider hardcovers in graphic novels, art, cooking (published post-2010) and unique vintage editions (published pre-1980).
What don’t we take?
- Hardcover editions of books available in paperback (most hardcovers come out in paperback after a year.)
- Textbooks, coursebooks & test prep books (e.g. SAT, AP, TOEFL etc.)
- Travel guides
- Computer/technology guides
- Books with water damage, broken spines, dog-eared pages, highlighting, underlining or handwriting (front page notes/inscriptions are ok)
- Books sold from our $1 racks
- Rare, antiquarian or collectible editions
- Wholesale lots or estates
Our buyers reserve the right to pass on any book they deem unusable.
Our staff cannot
- Make house calls
- Leave the store or give curbside assistance
- Issue cash or credit for books left at the store outside buying hours
- Appraise rare, antiquarian or collectible editions.
- Split a payment between cash and credit
- Issue more than one sales slip per customer per day