The Secret Lives of Introverts: Inside Our Hidden World
An introvert guide and manifesto for all the quiet ones—and the people who love them—on dating, relationships, work, careers, and more.
On behalf of those who have long been misunderstood, rejected, or ignored, fellow introvert Jenn Granneman writes a compassionate vindication—exploring, discovering, and celebrating the secret inner world of introverts that, only until recently, has begun to peek out and emerge into the larger social narrative. Drawing from scientific research, in-depth interviews with experts and other introverts, and her personal story, Granneman reveals the clockwork behind the introvert’s mind—and why so many people get it wrong initially. Chapters include:
- The Science of Introversion
- Introverts Aren’t Unsociable—We Socialize Differently
- Let’s Be Awkward Together—Introverts in Relationships
- Do I really Have to Do This Again Tomorrow? Introverts and Career
- Inside the Introvert’s Inner World
- And much more!
Whether you are a bona fide introvert, an extrovert anxious to learn how we tick, or a curious ambivert, these revelations will answer the questions you’ve always had:
- What’s going on when introverts go quiet?
- What do introvert lovers need to flourish in a relationship?
- How can introverts find their own brand of fulfillment in the workplace?
- Do introverts really have a lot to say—and how do we draw it out?
- How can introverts mine their rich inner worlds of creativity and insight?
- Why might introverts party on a Friday night but stay home alone all Saturday?
- How can introverts speak out to defend their needs?
With other myths debunked and truths revealed, The Secret Lives of Introverts is an empowering manifesto that guides you toward owning your introversion by working with your nature, rather than against it, in a world where you deserve to be heard.
Is there a hidden part of you that no one else sees? Do you have a vivid inner world of thoughts and emotions that your peers and loved ones can’t seem to access? Have you ever been told you’re too “quiet,” “shy,” “boring,” or “awkward”? Are your habits and comfort zones questioned by a society that doesn’t seem to get the real you? If so, you might be an introvert.
Jenn Granneman is on a mission: to let introverts everywhere know it’s okay to be who they are. She has advocated for introverts since 2013, when she created IntrovertDear.com, the popular online community and publication for introverts. For most of her life, she felt weird, different, and out of place because of her quiet ways; now, she writes about introversion because she doesn’t want other introverts to feel the way she did. Her writings on introversion have appeared in The Huffington Post, Psychology Today, and Susan Cain’s Quiet Revolution, among others. Jenn lives in Minnesota, and no, she doesn't want to go out this weekend.
Adrianne Lee is a creative techie who enjoys telling stories through her whimsical and witty cartoons. Her work combines Manga-style drawing with smart-but-subtle humor. When she is not indulging her need to tell stories with a humorous twist, Adrianne can be found drinking too much coffee and sorting through her options for her next “big idea”.
Publication Date: 08/01/2017 - 12:00am
On Sale: 08/01/2017 - 12:00am