Unhappiness, says bestselling author Harriet Lerner, is fueled by three key emotions: anxiety, fear, and shame. They are the uninvited guests in our lives. When tragedy or hardship hits, they may become our constant companions.
Anxiety can wash over us like a tidal wave or operate as a silent thrum under the surface of our daily lives. With stories that are sometimes hilarious and sometimes heartbreaking, Lerner takes us from "fear lite" to the most difficult lessons the universe sends us. We learn:
- how a man was "cured in a day" of the fear of rejection -- and what we can learn from his story
- how the author overcame her dread of public speaking when her worst fears were realized
- how to deal with the fear of not being good enough, and with the shame of feeling essentially flawed and inadequate
- how to stay calm and clear in an anxious, crazy workplace
- how to manage fear and despair when life sends a crash course in illness, vulnerability, and loss
- how "positive thinking" helps -- and harms
- how to be our best and bravest selves, even when we are terrified and have internalized the shaming messages of others
No one signs up for anxiety, fear, and shame, but we cant avoid them either. As we learn to respond to these three key emotions in new ways, we can live more fully in the present and move into the future with courage, clarity, humor, and hope. Fear and Other Uninvited Guests shows us how.
About the Author
Harriet Lerner, Ph.D., nationally renowned clinical psychologist, is the author of many books and audio tapes including the New York Times bestseller, The Dance of Anger, and most recently, The Dance of Fear: Rising Above Anxiety, Fear and Shame to be Your Best and Bravest Self. A consultant, lecturer, and workshop leader who is internationally acclaimed for her contributions on women and families, Dr. Lerner served as a staff psychologist and psychotherapist at the Menninger Clinic in Topeka, Kansas for more than two decades. You can visit her website, www.harrietlerner.com.
-Martha Beck, O, The Oprah Magazine
“This spirit-lifting book leaves the reader braver, wiser and laughing. Lerner’s advice is the best you will find.”
-Edward Hallowell, M.D., author of Driven to Distraction
“A flat-out life-changing book.”
-Betty Carter, M.S.W. Director Emerita, Family Institute of Westchester, New York